Saturday, December 11, 2010

French Legere Firing

Despite my talk about "leveling versus aiming" last time I could not help myself; I had to paint the firing figure aiming because I wanted to try:

  • Making the head lean over, and
  • Making one eye squint.
What I also decided to do is take one of the previously painted figures and replicate him in a firing pose. Although it is a novel idea, making duplicate "unique faces" across several figures is not easy. Some of the "uniqueness" is produced through mistakes, after all!

Without further ado, French Legere firing:



Despite the positioning of the hands and feet not being "perfect", I think this is the way I will go from now one. The one problem I can see with this pose is transporting it. If I am driving to a game and I have the unit in my storage box, I don't think it will be a problem (I use magnets and metal), but traveling with them on a plane is another matter. I'll have to think about that.

2 comments:

  1. These are really great.

    I had a thought for the Plumes though, have you thought about Pipe Cleaners? You can get them in a variety of colours. You can cut them easily and they would look 'the part'.

    Of course, I understand if you don't want to, because making them entirely out of wood is probably very satisfying!!!

    Cheers
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the pipe cleaners, yes I have thought about them, but I have never fancied the look. I have thought about gluing yarn to the wooden plume, to give it more body and texture. I used yarn for a hoplite crest here:

    http://wooden-warriors.blogspot.com/2010/06/slight-diversion-greek-hoplite-helmet_14.html

    I like the shape of the wooden plume (fat at top) and that would be hard to duplicate in a pipe cleaner. (Yes, I am that picky.)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts